Monday, June 10, 2013

We know what we want to do so why don't we do it!

"It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not." -Andre Gide

Making a life is doing the things that you love without fear or regret...that fill your soul. Making a living is finding something that pays the bills and the luxuries of life without ever filling more than your bank account. -Me :)
Sunsets like this are one of the things that truly matter in life.


One of the biggest struggles I think everyone experiences in life is finding something they love and doing it as a career. We are all taught that if we do something we love and are passionate about then it never feels like work. I completely agree with this in every area of life. If we are passionate about our "job" or relationship then we do things completely out of love and not for rewards or attention and they always turn out better!

Remember when you took the aptitude and personality test in high school or college to figure out your career and it told you one day you would be a great doctor, lawyer, librarian, computer tech, financial adviser etc? Well I don't know about you, but I remember that thing not once asked me what my passions are or what inspired me. It was more situational questions to figure out how you could work in stressful environments, with multiple employees, if you worked better independently, or whatever. When are we ever encouraged to follow our hearts and pursue our passions? Do you ever remember going through school and that being one of your lectures? Did anyone ever tell you not to worry about money, trust yourself, trust your instinct and the money will follow? I doubt it. Most of us are taught to go to school, get a good career, make sure we have the money first then we can pursue some "Hobbies" that we love while hating our 9-5 job every day dreading to get up and go to work.

I did that for a longgggg time! I was actually in the process of finishing my last semester for my Business degree when I decided I was going to be a personal trainer. I'll never forget that phone call to home..."Hey mom/dad, so I think I figured out what I want to do!" ...Dad: "Oh ya? Great! What are ya thinking?" Me: "I want to become a personal trainer. So after 4 years of business school, I'm just going to do all my fitness certifications". Dad: "A trainer....(pause)...um where did that come from? And what about business school?" Me: "I don't know, I hate corporate America so I"m going to give this a shot." 

I remember my parents had no idea where that idea came from and neither did I other than I was tired of being unhappy with work and I knew I didn't want to spend my life in an office all day answering phone calls and doing customer service. I had NO IDEA how to be a trainer, how to get certified, how to get clients, how to do anything! I just jumped the gun, ordered my  books and then applied for jobs. And voila here I am 5 years later and I still think it's the best decision I ever made.

However, now I'm at one of those times we all go through life where you feel like ok it's time to pursue something more...something bigger...something better. Again though, not sure what exactly that looks like. While thinking this though, I feel like we all feel t his way. The whole "why am I here? What is my calling? What is my purpose?" Then I read this in a book: "Much of the time we pretend we aren't clear on what our calling is when what's really going on is that we're horrified to face it because it seems too big or too impossible to make a living at or completely out of the question for us." How true is that!!??

How many times have you thought, if money weren't an issue I would love to do ______. Or, if I could do it all over again I would do this_________.

Right now, I am ready for something bigger and it has been a daily search for me to figure out what that is and quite often I'm like OH THIS WOULD BE AWESOME then I stop myself when the thought of money comes to mind. Last time I did this though, someone posed a question to me that when something like this and I will pose the same question to you.....

Is this something you love? 
Do you get excited when you talk about this idea and does it just light you up?
Does it help other people and inspire you to help them?
Do you feel in your gut/heart like this is something you would be good at and you should do? 

If you answered yes....then why aren't you doing it?

For me, this solely was my reason: Because I don't know if I'll make any money doing it and I need to pay my bills. The next response I got was....

So you know without a doubt this is your passion and is a way of helping people which God calls us to do yet you're telling me you feel like God is big enough to give you these desires, but not big enough to provide for you financially if you follow your heart?
This would be my brother with me who posed all these questions to me and one of my closest friends :)


Wow, that was a bit of a reality check for me so I put aside the fear and just decided I was going to do what I love and if it didn't work out I would still love myself regardless. One great book that goes over a lot of people's struggles with figuring out their purpose and figuring out your calling would be MY LIFE PURPOSE. 

Any book that has interactive questions, guides, and testimonies is going to help show you similar areas other people have gone through and how each event or situation they went through in life led them to their ultimate purpose just like you experience in your own life, but maybe you just need more direction to help you figure out what your passions are and how the Law of attraction works.

#1 Rule in life, business, relationships, pursuing your goals, is LOVE YOURSELF because at the end of the day and end of life no matter who comes and goes...YOU will always still be there. Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment