Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Are you really a leader? Or maybe you just think you are....


Are you really a leader or do you just think you are?

I grew up playing sports and always involved in group or team activities. Somewhere along the lines I remember the idea being thrown out there in games, in school, with friends about how “you need to be a leader”….and quite honestly I knew the definition of a leader, but I never really understood what in the world that had to do with life or how to supposedly be a leader. Throughout sports I actually had very little confidence in games and practices…my coaches knew that if I made an error or messed up in a competition they didn’t need to say anything because I was telling myself how disappointed I was much worse then they ever could (we all are our own worst critics). Pep talks before/after games and even all through business school in college I heard it over and over about being a leader and being different and I listened of course, but never actually thought about what any of it means or maybe I just didn’t care because I was more interested in a game or just getting out of school.

I’m sure at some point in your life you have been told you are a leader or heard that phrase “some of you need to step up and be the leader on the team” (even if you didn’t play sports I’m sure you have heard it in school or work at some point), but did you really get what that meant? To me, I just assumed a leader was someone who delegated tasks and in a way just made sure everyone was doing their job and if they weren’t then you let them know, right? Make sure everyone is in the right place at the right time, duties are taken care of, phone calls are made, sales are made, game plans are clearly explained, everyone was paid on time, vacation schedule is set, the work schedule is perfect, and finances are in order….that’s a leader right? Take charge and tell everyone how to do it then make sure it gets done!

Keep reading HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment